Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween! DIY Halloween Costume

Who doesn't love a good Halloween costume? I know I sure do and I start getting excited about it a few months in advanced. This past week I finally decided what my little girl was going to be. She is obsessed with the movie the Croods. Her personality matches Sandy, the baby girl, from the movie so I decided to make her costume.

Sandy from the Croods:


I wasn't sure how much fabric I needed but I brought my little girl to the store we measured her around and her height. She is a two year old and pretty small so I got about 3/4 a yard of fabric. Trying to get her to lay down to measure her was not going to work, she put up a big fight. So I took a tank top and marked only one shoulder, the neck line, and the underarm line. I figure it's a cavegirl costume so it doesn't have to be exact.

next I cut out one side, made it a little bigger to make sure it wrapped around her and enough to make sure I could sew it together with a little slack. Then I used that one as the pattern for the other side...only mistake I made was I forgot to flip the pattern so that the shoulder strap would be on the same side.

Then I sewed the two pieces together and added a button on the back of the strap since it's a little tight to get over her head. the button allows her to step in without ripping it. I just did a quick stitch by hand for the button and a slit in the fabric reinforced at the edges again with a simple cross stitch.

Then the costume has a little foot paw on the bottom. I didn't want to sew anything else on. I wanted it to be easy, so I bough a pair of two iron on elbow patches. one I used at the base and then I cut out small circles as the finger pads. I didn't iron on since it was a faux fur and didn't know if it would be ruined so I just used fabric glue.


For the accessories I bought fishing bait, it smelled awesome...ok not really it was nasty! I had to wash with dish soap and then boil them. They still smell but they look perfect and we were able to stick a wire through it and now I can manipulate it to look the way I want it to in her hair. Then I just added boots she already had.


Outcome:


No comments:

Post a Comment